Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) is a method to measure space- and time-resolved flow velocities in fluids. I will work a lot with this method during my PhD. In the past, I got to know some commercial PIV software systems (e.g. "Flowmanager" and "VidPIV"), but I was never totally happy with these. I also had a look at several free PIV systems (mostly based on MATLAB), but these were not suitable for my demands. Since I am going to spend a lot of time with PIV calculations, E.J. Stamhuis and me recently developed a PIV software (called PIVlab) that takes advantage of numerous MATLAB features. I also created an extensive GUI for the software which makes it easy to get results with ease.
|* completely GUI based PIV tool
* multi-pass, multi-grid window deformation technique
* import bmp/ tiff/ jpeg image pairs/ series
* multiple image sequencing styles
* individual image masking and region of interest
|* image pre-processing
* two different sub-pixel estimators
* multiple vector validation methods
* magnitude/ vorticity/ divergence/ shear / ...
* data smoothing, vector field highpass
* multiple colormaps
* extensive data extraction tools
* synthetic PIV image generator
* Many data export features
* main features accessible via comand line scripting